The "Transport Security Administration" (TSA) Alien Flight Training/Citizenship Validation Rule provides clear information for International Students. Their online guide can be found here.
If you are an international Student and you wish to conduct flying training in the USA please read the AOPA guidance here
If you have a Non FAA Pilots Licence then the FAA has guidance on converting your Licence into a FAA Pilot Licence. The FAA guide can be found here
Foreign Pilot License Conversion is a simple process. There are three primary requirements that you must meet to convert your license:
Be proficient in the English language
Have a green card or a B-1, B-2, F-1, J-1, or M-1 Visa
Hold a third class U.S. medical certificate
Prior to your arrival in the U.S., you can complete the Verification of Authenticity Form to verify the authenticity of your Foreign Pilot License. After verification, the FAA will send you a letter in your home country informing you that your license has cleared. Once you have received this verification contact the school. You will also require the following before we can proceed, your logbook, foreign pilot license, foreign pilot medical, passport, and your Visa.
The School will then assist you in meeting the remainder of the requirements, these are :
- A third class FAA medical examination
- A flight review endorsement along with an aircraft rental checkout in the plane you will to build your time in
Once these are completed, we will schedule a meeting with the FAA Designated Examiner. At this interview, you must provide the following:
- Completed FAA Form 8710 (We will fill this out for you)
- FAA Designated Examiner Fee
- Two 2 photocopies of your passport, Foreign Pilot License, Foreign Medical Certificate, and your new FAA Medical Certificate